The Political Astrology Blog

Obama Wins 2012 Election, As Predicted
Sat, 11/10/12 – 3:57 | 12 Comments

Barack Obama was re-elected to a second term as President of the United States on November 6, 2012.
In doing so he fulfilled a prediction that the authors of The Political Astrology Blog issued earlier this …

Read the full story »
Birth Data

Birth data and other chart data for important political figures and moments.

Current Events

Current events related to politics and politicians from an astrological perspective.

Politician Profiles

Astrological profiles of politicians and political figures.

Site News

News and developments related to the Political Astrology Blog.

Video and Audio

Video clips and podcast episodes by the authors of the Political Astrology Blog.

Home » Current Events

The Astrology of the “Weinergate” Scandal

Posted by on Tuesday, June 7 20118 Comments

Rep. Anthony Weiner (D-NY) confessed and apologized yesterday for his culpability in the “Weinergate” scandal. Turns out he actually did tweet a young woman a picture of his…weiner…bulging through his underwear. Apparently there are other photos and at least 5 other women he has flirted with online in the past 3 years. Let’s see what insights astrology offers.

We might be able to find more explanations with a birth time, but even with just using his birthdate (September 4th, 1964, Brooklyn, New York) there are still some interesting things to consider here. Weiner was born with Venus conjunct Mars. This is commonly associated with a high sex drive, loves and passions expressed through aggression, as well as transgressions in love, or more broadly transgressions against society’s expectations. We’ll see this play out in some of the key transits related to the scandal.

Weiner proposed to Huma Abedin (Hillary Clinton’s top aide) on May 23rd, 2009. On this date, Venus is conjunct Mars, just like in his natal chart. Interestingly, the wedding was officiated by Bill Clinton, someone who was involved in probably one of the greatest sex scandals ever, whose transgressions in love indirectly affected Weiner’s wife Huma who was the top aide to then-First Lady Hillary Clinton. Bill Clinton, like Anthony Weiner, was also born with Venus conjunct Mars. (Clinton’s first sexual encounter with Monica Lewinsky also occurred under a Venus-Mars conjunction). Let’s just say Hillary knows all too well how Huma must feel right now. The news about Weiner’s lewd tweet broke on May 27th 2011. And again, Venus was conjunct Mars! It is also important to note that the wedding took place on July 10th 2010, a day before a solar eclipse at 19 Cancer. This is important because it is nearly a year later, and it’s eclipse season again. Weiner has even nervously joked that he hopes his marriage can survive its first anniversary. On June 1st 2011, there was a solar eclipse at 11 Gemini, which squared Weiner’s Sun-Uranus-Pluto conjunction from 10-13 Virgo. At this time, Weiner insisted the tweet was the result of a hacking, but he raised suspicions by not definitively denying that the photo was of him. This nearly reminds me of the transit of when the former New York Governor Elliot Spitzer’s scandal broke, when a Sun-Uranus conjunction in the sky squared Spitzer’s own Uranus. (Oh, and Spitzer was born with Venus conjunct Mars as well in case you were wondering.)

Finally on June 6th 2011, in a tearful press conference, Weiner admitted his guilt. Mercury in Gemini was square his Mercury in Virgo at the time of the announcement. I don’t think this is all we’re going to hear about the story, especially by the time of the upcoming solar eclipse on July 1st 2011 at 9 Cancer. It is the eclipse most related to the one that occurred just before his wedding nearly exactly a year earlier, but it also bears important relationships to Weiner’s own chart. Weiner was born with the Sun conjunct both Uranus and Pluto, and the upcoming eclipse features the Sun square Uranus and opposite Pluto, so it stands to reason that he will resonate with this figure in a remarkable way, and it has particularly ominous indications for his marriage.

If anyone can find out Huma Abedin’s birthdate that would be really great! I was only able to find that she was born sometime in 1976. She has no Twitter account so I wasn’t able to see Weiner wish her a happy birthday or anything on his Twitter. Also, if anyone is interested, you can retrieve Weiner’s birth time because New York has an open records policy, as long as you indicate you are using it for research purposes. It would cost at least $23.30 to order it through VitalChek.com. Go!

UPDATE 6/17/2011: Weiner resigned on June 16th, 2011, the day after the lunar eclipse at 24 Sagittarius. We still do not have his birth time even though it just requires someone to go get it through VitalCheck.com for “informational purposes” and pay $23.30 . Doesn’t look like we’re going to get Huma Abedin’s birth date without a bit of effort. She was born in Kalamazoo, Michigan, so there may be a birth notice in the Kalamazoo Gazette, but the online archives only go back to 2005. I contacted the newspaper to ask if someone in their staff could go through the birth notices of all the 1976 editions to find out the birth date. This would probably not be the easiest task in the world so I asked how much it might cost. Probably a long shot, plus I have no money. I have yet to hear back from them, I guess we’ll see. A birth time will be even harder to come by for Abedin because Michigan has a fairly strict birth records policy. The time is almost certainly printed on her certificate, but only she has the ability to request a copy of it. Even if Michigan had an open records policy, we still wouldn’t be able to request her birth certificate without knowing the date.

Article tags: , , , , , , , ,

Written by

Patrick is an astrologer originally from High Wycombe, England. His personal practice is based on a blend of ancient and modern astrology. He is a member of the Association for Young Astrologers.

Hellenistic Astrology Course

8 Comments »

• Kristina says:

Hi Patrick.

I would have to argue your statement that Venus Mars conjunctions equal transgressions in love.  Do you really think this configuration alone signifies sex scandal?  I would say that this alone is not an indicator of lack of control or moral standing.  Now maybe I’m being defensive here, I have this configuration myself as well as friends of mine, but I think these situations you refer to, although interestingly coinciding with Venus Mars conjunctions, have much more complexity then this single factor.

• Patrick Watson says:

Hi Kristina,

Thanks for reading! Sex scandals come in all shapes and sizes but some common factors that I’ve seen involve Venus, Mars and Uranus, transits to and from these involving the Sun, retrogrades and stations. I’m not saying that sex scandals are only what Venus-Mars conjunctions are about, but I am saying that Venus-Mars conjunctions can figure in to sex scandals. I do have a couple of examples where Venus-Mars recurrences do not necessarily concern love. Venus is not just romantic love, but it is representative of all the things we value as a society that unites us together. Venus unites that which is unlike. That is why it has relevance for social interactions, whether it is between two individuals, or groups of people or entire societies, as well as for the things that unite different people together- art, music, pleasure, beauty, order. Interestingly enough, Venus probably has the most regular planetary cycle, very close to the ecliptic and whose 5 inferior and superior conjunctions happen just 2 degrees away from the place they did exactly 8 years before. It is orderly, beautiful even. Mars on the other hand is very far off the ecliptic and whose 7 conjunctions and oppositions with the Sun occur very roughly over the zodiac every 15 years. Correspondingly, Mars separates that which is similar, so it is destructive of Venus’s aims in various ways, resulting in (sometimes perceived) violations of societal values, like adultery.

This paints a very pretty picture of Venus, but it does have a dark side. This is a controversial example I suppose, but Adolf Hitler was born with Venus retrograde conjunct Mars in Taurus in the 8th. I would say that that combination fairly describes his desire to eradicate the Jewish people. Sounds far-fetched perhaps, but consider his obsession with racial purity, an Aryan race with blond hair and blue eyes, his own personal interest in art. He wanted to “purify” Germany. Making something “pure” is usually viewed as a good thing, but not in this case! This is a messed up Venus (retrograde), because he only saw a perfect society as one that did not tolerate differences, which is different from how Venus normally operates, which is to unite that which is unlike. It was also conjunct Mars, so the way he tried to carry out his bizarrely Venusian mission was through violence and death (Mars), and it was even found in the 8th house of death. I think this is confirmed because Mars was conjunct Venus at the time Hitler published “Mein Kampf” which articulated this violent philosophy. They were also conjunct at the times that he withdrew Germany from the League of Nations, became the Commander-in-Chief of the Armed Forces, declared war on France and Russia, invaded Denmark and Norway, issued the “Barbarossa Directive”, etc. He also had quite a history with Venus retrogrades aside from Mars, even dying under a Venus retrograde (2 days after having married Eva Braun in a bunker) (credits to Nick Dagan Best for the Hitler events).

According to Nick Dagan Best, several presidential assassinations have happened under Venus-Mars conjunctions, which I see as violence (Mars) interrupting the order (Venus) of presidential terms , since US presidential terms are 4 years long and thus have a close association with Venus’ 4 and 8 year cycles. It is against our societal values to murder the leaders you disagree with. So, departures from societal values is how I’ve derived my interpretation of the Venus-Mars conjunction, and why it would seem to be a recurring feature in sex scandals. Of course it won’t always mean sex scandals for the people born at Venus-Mars conjunctions. For you, Venus-Mars is going to say something your connection with your societies values and especially your departure from them in some respect, as reflected in some area of your life which may not necessarily be your lovelife. Take a look back in your own personal history and see what your Venus-Mars conjunction ultimately means for you. Hope this clarifies my position. Thanks again!

Patrick

• Kristina says:

Thanks Patrick for all the insight!  I was noticing this configuration happens about once a year but haven’t done all the math.   Didn’t know about these two planet’s cycles either.  Hmm..Interesting.  I’ve never heard “transgressions in love” before for this, and I think these are cases of Venus conjunct Mars gone bad is all.  I find that Venus and Mars together signifies interaction of man and woman, and that can mean alot of things, but it’s these kind of stories that get the news.  I do need to look over my own history.  I have a high percentage of friends with this configuration in their chart and what I have noticed is there is a tendency toward active participation in pleasure and the *good* life,  But most of all it seems that natal Venus conjunct Mars people interact as easily with the opposite sex as with their own, if not more, which I guess could lead to an increase in the instances of sexual misconduct.

• Kristina says:

Interesting stuff on Hitler. Thank you Nick! All those critical events occuring during Venus Mars conjunctions, for sure says something about the configuration itself. But I think there was more going on with Hitler than just his Venus/Mars, this conjunction was also closely square his Saturn in Leo. I do wonder what makes a person go mad like he did. Its definately a *difficult* chart in many ways, but I don’t know if madness can be predicted, and I especially don’t believe it can be staked to any single factor.

• Patrick Watson says:

Hey Kristina,

There are so many factors because every chart is unique and all moments are unique, and even if we’re just sticking to the cycles of planets within our own solar system, the transits will never perfectly repeat themselves because the solar system is still gradually evolving. There are basically an infinite amount of factors and the human mind isn’t capable of accounting for all celestial influences that might exist. What we can do is zero in one or two relevant astrological factors and trace them through a chronology, with the knowledge that it isn’t necessarily an exhaustive explanation but an integral part of a larger one. We can only ever get a slice of a “god”‘s wisdom. And certain planetary cycles do end up taking special significance for some people and for certain topics throughout their lives, determinable from the time they were born. After all, the planets have different astrological natures from each other and can’t always be responsible for the same things. So the Venus retrograde/Mars things in Hitler’s life isn’t completely who he is, but it does have a story to tell about him, one that I think has been a large part of the way he is still thought about.

Patrick

• Kristina says:

Thank you Patrick.  I am not in disagreement with you here.  Astrology is proof that we live under a higher law.  It’s an amazing thing, each of the  planetary cycles are regular, orderly, and predictable but as a working system nothing exactly repeats, as it is with the human being.  We all have commonality but are not repeatable.  Continue on with the good work:)

• Patrick Watson says:

Ha, I read what you read again and I realized I hadn’t needed to continue to defend myself, haha. Thanks a lot, and yeah, it is really amazing.

• Susan Miller says:

Born Huma Mahmood Abedin
    July 28, 1976 (age 36)
    Kalamazoo, Michigan, U.S.

Patrick, Huma is Moslim and I believe she cannot get divorced due to her religion.

Leave a comment!

Be nice. Keep it clean. Stay on topic. No spam.

You can use these tags: