Live Blogging the Astrology of 2012 DNC – Day 1
This page will be updated as the convention unfolds, and we plan to make observations about the astrology of the event, record the times when important things happen, talk about birth charts of people who are speaking, and more.
If you have any observations that you would like to share with us then please do so in the comments section below.
For coverage of the RNC, see my recap of The Astrology of the Republican National Convention from last week. That article summarizes the high points of the entire convention, and it ended up being really long, although I still wasn’t able to include as much coverage as I would have liked.
So for the DNC this week we are going to try a different approach, and instead of doing a long recap at the end of the week, we are going to do a separate live blog for all three days. That way we can include all or at least most of the data and observations we collected from the convention.
- Day 2 of the DNC (void of course Moon, Bill Clinton, roll call & party nomination, etc.)
- Day 3 of the DNC (Obama accepts the party nomination, etc.)
- Complete astrological analysis and comparison of the DNC and RNC charts
Day 1: The 2012 Democratic National Convention Opens
The 2012 Democratic National Convention began today, September 4, 2012 at exactly 5:00 PM EDT in Charlotte, North Carolina when the Chair of the Democratic National Committee Debbie Wasserman Schultz gaveled open the convention.
Here is the inception chart for that moment:
Democratic National Convention Inception Chart
The chart looks pretty good from an electional standpoint. Here are some observations:
- Saturn is the ruler of the ascendant, and thus it is the primary planet in the chart that represents the convention itself. Saturn is actually extremely well-placed in this chart. It is exalted in Libra, in a day chart (so it is of the sect in favor), it is angular in the 10th whole sign house, it is in aversion to Mars, it has a superior trine from Jupiter and superior sextile from Venus.
- Mars on the MC is not great since this is a day chart, so Mars is the most difficult planet. This is mitigated a little bit by Mars being in its own sign, but it is still somewhat problematic. Since it is in the 11th it almost seems to imply that problems come from within the Democratic party itself, since the 11th is the place of friends and alliances.
- The Moon is applying to an opposition with Mars, which is probably the most difficult placement in the chart, although it is mitigated somewhat by the fact that the Moon is exalted and Mars is in its own domicile, as well as by the fact that Mercury sends in an interposing ray that intercepts the Moon. Interestingly, the Moon will reach Mars and Mercury at exactly the same time, so it is almost like the problematic opposition and the positive trine both come into play and have equal weight. It is not clear how much the Moon represents general circumstances with respect to the convention as a general significator, versus how much it has something specific to say about the other party since it is the ruler of the 7th. It is curious that it is the only planet in the chart that has some sort of serious affliction though.
- One thing that is striking about this chart is the number of dignified planets: Moon, Mercury, Mars and Saturn. Even Venus is in a mutual reception with the Moon, which gives it some additional strength.
- I would say that aside from the Moon’s application to Mars, this is a very strong election, and it bodes well for the convention.
Cory Booker’s speech began at 5:59 PM ET. Booker is the Mayor of Newark, New Jersey. It is interesting that it began right when the ascendant was square to Mars, and it ended up being a loud and very fiery speech (click here to see the chart for when Booker’s speech began). It really woke people up, and it was a striking departure from the speeches that had taken place up to that point, which were pretty tame and kind of low-key in comparison.
Astrologer Mary Plumb pointed out that Booker’s Sun is at 7 Taurus, so transiting Mars is exactly opposing it, and transiting Mercury is exactly trine. Click here to see Booker’s transits.
Younger People to Watch Out For
8:05 PM ET, September 4: There have been a couple of new faces so far, only a few hours into the convention. I’m following the convention with the astrology program Solar Fire’s animate chart wheel feature, which shows exactly where the planets are each minute, and moves the chart as they change position. I’m particularly paying attention to when the ascendant changes signs, and when the ascendant or MC makes an exact aspect with a planet.
So far two notable exact hits of planets to angles occurred when two newer people were speaking. The first was Tulsi Gabbard, who is a recently elected member of the House of Representatives. She was speaking around 7:27 PM ET, when Mercury was right on the descendant at 7 Virgo.
The other was Joseph Kennedy III, who is apparently running for the Senate in Massachusetts right now. He started speaking at 7:44 PM, with the ascendant square to Jupiter in Charlotte to the degree. These may be people to watch out for in the future. Both of their brief speeches kind of stood out. Gabbard’s was a bit more polished than Kennedy’s.
Interestingly, both of them have Saturn in Libra, so both are finishing their Saturn returns in the next month. This must be the last great event of both of their respective Saturn returns.
Ascendant Sign Changes in Charlotte During the Course of the Day
- The ascendant moved from Aquarius to Pisces at 7:07 PM, about a minute after Harry Reid began his speech.
- The ascendant moved from Pisces to Aries at 8:25 PM ET, about a minute after Nancy Keenan from the National Abortion Rights Action League (NARAL) started speaking. It was a pretty impassioned and forceful speech about pro-choice issues.
- Ascendant switched into Taurus just before Lilly Ledbetter’s speech ended.
- Astrologer Leisa Schaim points out that war veteran Tammy Duckworth’s graphic description of her injuries in the Iraq war took place at 8:43 PM when Pluto was exactly square the ascendant. The ascendant was at 7 Aries in Charlotte.
- Astrologer Leisa Schaim points out that when governor Lincoln Chafee from Rhode Island said that he is the only Independent governor Uranus was just rising over the degree of the ascendant. He started talking at 8:45 PM with the ascendant at 8 Aries and Uranus at 7 Aries. His speech was primarily directed at independent voters.
- Pluto was culminating right on the degree of the MC just now when Stacey Lihn came out with her family at 8:55 PM and explained that if Obama care was repealed, her family wouldn’t have the money to pay for her daughters open heart surgeries. She basically implied that if Romney was elected her daughter would die due to her medical condition and the fact that she would have exceeded the lifetime cap that the healthcare company had in place prior to Obamacare going into effect. It was a really serious moment because she was talking about life and death, and her daughter was right there on the stage, while Pluto was right at the MC at 7 Capricorn. Interestingly, at the same time her speech was interrupted when her baby started crying in the middle of it, perhaps due to Uranus being square to the MC at the same time since it is at 7 Aries, square the MC and Pluto at 7 Capricorn.
- Lilly Ledbetter walked out right when the ascendant exactly squared Venus, with the ascendant at 28 Aries and Venus at 28 Cancer. She talked about equal pay for women and the Lilly Ledbetter Fair Pay Act, which was the first bill that Obama signed when he got into office.
- Julián Castro’s keynote speech began at 10:10 PM ET with Mars on the descendant (Asc at 9 Taurus and Mars at 8 Scorpio). He was kind of slipping a bit during the first half of the speech, although then he seemed to get it together during the second half, and closed well. He ended by talking about his mother and daughter, and then his speech culminated and ended at 10:27, with Venus exactly on the degree and minute of the IC at 28 Cancer. I was watching it live and it was really striking seeing it end almost to the second that Venus hit the IC.
Michelle Obama came out at 10:38 PM ET to deliver her speech, and began a minute or so after the applause died down.
Her speech is taking place around the same time that Romney and Ryan’s did, so the rising sign is the same, Taurus. The differences are the positions of the faster moving bodies such as the Moon, Mercury, and Venus.
Venus is still the ruler of the ascendant, and it is still square Saturn, as it was for Ryan and Romney, but interestingly it is separating from the exact square with Saturn at this point rather than applying to it, which is pretty significant from an electional standpoint.
Things are also a bit different in this chart because the Moon is in Taurus in the 1st, and in a mutual reception with Venus, so it lends Venus some dignity that it otherwise wouldn’t have on its own in Cancer.
It was a really powerful and well-executed speech. It ended at 11:04 PM ET.
The convention went into recess at 11:11 PM, with 28 Taurus rising, and the ascendant right on the south node at 29.
End of day 1.